Discrete Mathematics: Modeling Our World
(Formerly Discrete Mathematics through Applications) 4th Edition
Written specifically for high school courses, Discrete Mathematics: Modeling Our World is a new fourth edition of the formerly titled Discrete Mathematics Through Applications. It is designed to help you implement mathematical modeling in your classroom, in a way that promotes active learning, critical thinking, and fully-engaged student participation. With this text, students will see the connections among mathematical topics and real-life events and situations, while sharpening their problem solving, mathematical reasoning and communication skills.
This new edition adds material on codes, logic, set notation, bin packing, and linear programming. New Features of the fourth edition:
• The first full-color edition.
• Updated data and news articles throughout.
• An increased emphasis on mathematical modeling.
• A new chapter on codes.
• The appendices of the third edition have been expanded into a tenth chapter with sections on logic, set notation, bin packing, and linear programming.
• A supplemental chapter on statistics will be available separately or as an eleventh chapter through custom publishing.
• A single electronic teacher disc that includes the student text in PDF format as well as answers, teacher notes, blackline masters, software, and test questions.
• A DVD containing all COMAP videos that are referenced in the teacher notes for each chapter.
Mathematics as a Second Language Glossary
The Mathematics as a Second Language Glossary features mathematical terms defined in both English and Spanish
with accompanying examples and/or drawings and is now available in epub format for the Amazon Kindle and Apple EReaders. Learn More
Dynamic College Algebra
Dynamic College Algebra uses a modeling approach built around applications from technical fields such as semiconductor manufacturing and biotechnology. Each chapter begins with an engaging contextual problem that students explore in class or on their own via an Adobe Air simulation. Reflecting the realities of modern technical careers, Dynamic College Algebra integrates data analysis and spreadsheet technology throughout. Learn More
Mathematics: Modeling Our World (MMOW)
Course 1, 2 & 3
Based on feedback from users of the first edition, COMAP has completed a major revision of Courses 1-3, now available in both print and CD-ROM.
• Some chapters are completely rewritten (i.e., Pick a Winner and Landsat, which is now titled Scene from Above). Other chapters are streamlined while retaining the thematic, modeling approach.
• Most chapters are shorter. The revised Course 1 has a total of 57 Activities— a 39% reduction from first edition’s 93.
Consortium Free Download Page
Consortium, published twice
a year and available electronically,
blends contemporary teaching activities with commentaries,
articles and contests to bring the excitement of mathematical
modeling to high school classrooms. Each issue contains
section, a reproducible classroom activity centered on a real-world
modeling problem. Recent Pull-Out
lessons have modeled a wide range of topics including the
genetics of sickle cell anemia and the accuracy of the Patriot
Starting with issue 104 COMAP has decided to make the Consortium available as a free download. Learn More
NEW FREE course material A Course in Financial Mathematics